Code of Ethics
WYOMING COACHES’ ASSOCIATION
The responsibility of a coach is to properly educate students through participation in interscholastic competition. The interscholastic program is designed to enhance academic success. Each child should be treated as though s/he were the coaches’ own and their welfare shall be uppermost at all times. The following guidelines for coaches have been adopted by the Wyoming Coaches’ Association Board of Directors:
- The coach must be aware of the influence s/he has in the education of the student/athlete and shall never place the value of winning above the value of instilling the ideals of good character.
- The coach must constantly uphold the honor and dignity of the profession. In all personal contact with the student/athlete, officials, athletic directors, school administrators, the Wyoming State High School Activities Association, the media, and the public, the coach shall strive to set an example of the highest ethical and moral conduct.
- The coach shall take an active role in the prevention of drug, alcohol and tobacco abuse, and under no circumstances, should authorize their use.
- The coach shall promote the entire interscholastic program of the school and direct his/her program in harmony with the total school program.
- The coach shall be acquainted with the contest rules and is responsible for their interpretation to team members. The spirit or letter of rules should be regarded as mutual agreements. The coach shall not try to seek an advantage by circumventing the spirit or letter of the rules.
- Coaches shall actively use their influence to enhance sportsmanship by their spectators and shall work closely with spirit groups and event administrators.
- The coach shall respect and support contest officials. The coach shall exhibit conduct that sets an example for players and spectators.
- The coaches should meet and exchange greetings before and after contests to set the correct tone for the event.
- A coach shall not exert pressure on faculty members to give student/athletes special consideration.
- Coaches shall scout opponents by ethical means adopted by the league and/or state high school athletic association.